March Meeting 2/19/2009 - eXtreme Database Makeover ep. 2 - PORTAL

From: Mark Wong <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgresql PDX_Users <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: March Meeting 2/19/2009 - eXtreme Database Makeover ep. 2 - PORTAL
Date: 2009-03-17 02:05:21
Lists: pdxpug

Kristin Tufte will be speaking at the next PDXPUG meeting at FreeGeek
(at 7:00pm -
1731 SE 10th Avenue, Portland, OR).

-----

PORTAL is a 900 GB PostgreSQL archive of transportation-related data.
Data in portal includes: freeway speed and volume data (received in
real-time from the Oregon Department of Transportation), weather data,
bus data, accident data, and more. The PORTAL schema was developed
years ago and needs to be revamped. Further, PORTAL has performance
problems likely caused partly by the fact that it lives on a shared
SAN. For this meeting, I.ll show the PORTAL schema as it is now and
then we can have some fun tearing it apart and figuring out how it
could be

Looking forward to seeing everyone there....and of course, drinks at
the Lucky Lab (http://www.luckylab.com/ ) at 915 SE Hawthorne Blvd.
afterwards.