Re: Python versions (was Re: RHEL 8.0 build)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Python versions (was Re: RHEL 8.0 build)
Date: 2019-01-16 09:15:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07/01/2019 00:16, Tom Lane wrote:
> BTW, this is a pre-existing problem not the fault of this patch,
> but while we're fooling with the behavior of python lookup would
> be a great time to fix it: we should add something like
>
> AC_ARG_VAR([PYTHON], [path to Python executable])
>
> Aside from improving the "configure --help" documentation, this
> will prevent insane results from using inapplicable cached
> conclusions about what Python we've got. Since more and more
> people seem to be using configure cache files, I think we need
> to be more careful about declaring relevant variables.

Patch attached.

I went through the environment variables listed in installation.sgml and
came up with the following that would affect subsequent cacheable tests:

MSGFMT
PERL
PYTHON
TCLSH

The following are listed but don't affect any other tests, so I didn't
include them:

BISON
DTRACE
DTRACEFLAGS
FLEX
XML2_CONFIG

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-configure-More-use-of-AC_ARG_VAR.patch text/plain 3.4 KB