Re: [bug?] Missed parallel safety checks, and wrong parallel safety

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [bug?] Missed parallel safety checks, and wrong parallel safety
Date: 2021-04-21 02:22:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com> writes:
> From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
>> No. You'd have to be superuser anyway to do that, and we're not in the
>> habit of trying to put training wheels on superusers.

> Understood. However, we may add the parallel safety member in fmgr_builtins[] in another thread for parallel INSERT SELECT. I'd appreciate your comment on this if you see any concern.

[ raised eyebrow... ] I find it very hard to understand why that would
be necessary, or even a good idea. Not least because there's no spare
room there; you'd have to incur a substantial enlargement of the
array to add another flag. But also, that would indeed lock down
the value of the parallel-safety flag, and that seems like a fairly
bad idea.