Re: Installing PostgreSQL in a Unix Platform

From: Mischa Sandberg <ischamay(dot)andbergsay(at)activestateway(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing PostgreSQL in a Unix Platform
Date: 2004-08-23 15:58:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ummm .... time to get a 'Unix in 21 days' book,
because what you're relating indicates you are battling with
some beginner basics:

Try:
$ cd /usr/local

or:
$ cd /usr
$ cd local
not:
$ cd /usr
$ cd /local

And you can't execute a program in the current directory
(like DOS) unless you explicitly have '.' in your $PATH.
It would have executed if you'd entered:

$ ./pg_ctl

... but I STRONGLY suggest that, until you understand
why, you do not continue with what you're doing, but
rather, learn the Unix basics first.