Re: Timestamp with vs without time zone.

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Tim Uckun <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Timestamp with vs without time zone.
Date: 2021-09-21 07:39:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2021-09-21 at 19:35 +1200, Tim Uckun wrote:
> It seems like it would be so much more useful if the timestamp with
> time zone type actually stored the time zone in the record.

This has been requested before, and it would be closer to the intention
of the SQL standard, but I guess it won't happen.

For one, it would change on-disk storage, which would make it
impossible to use pg_upgrade. It also would require timestamps to
occupy more than 8 bytes.

The best solution is probably to explicitly store the time zone as
an additional column.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe