Re: Search content within a bytea field

From: Damiano Bolzoni <damiano(dot)bolzoni(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sylvain Leroux <sl20(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Search content within a bytea field
Date: 2009-08-31 06:06:36
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

> It seems to me that the problem is comming from the BYTEA type, not from the
> prepared statement by itself: As far as I know the only operator supported
> by BYTEA is concatenation. You can't even compare two BYTEA for (in)equality
> - even less using the LIKE operator.

Right, I suspected that too, as I've been reading a little bit around.
But...why if I manually query with a SQL client (AquaStudio) as
follows:

SELECT myfield FROM mytable WHERE myfield LIKE '%hello%'

and 'myfield' is a bytea field I get the result I expected? What's the
"trick" the client uses behind the curtains?