Hard failure, can't restart DB

From: "David Dollar" <ddollar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Hard failure, can't restart DB
Date: 2007-05-03 12:37:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We recently experienced a hard media failure. It turns out our admin guys
have been doing backups by backing up the pgsql data directory, but not
prepping the db first.

After a restore, when I try to start the database I get "LOG: logger
shutting down" and nothing else. This is Postgres 8.1.3.

I've been on the IRC channel for a while and they referred me here. I know
that the DB wasn't backed up correctly, but is there anything I can do to
recover?

Thanks,
David

--