Re: Clogging problem (was: Schema-only dump dumps no constraints, no triggers)

From: Marek Kielar <mkielar(at)go2(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clogging problem (was: Schema-only dump dumps no constraints, no triggers)
Date: 2012-08-06 12:08:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

to complement information from the previous message:

Dnia 29 lipca 2012 12:29 Marek Kielar <mkielar(at)go2(dot)pl> napisał(a):

> Hi,
>

> Dnia 28 lipca 2012 1:10 Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com> napisał(a):
>
> > What where the deleted files?
> > WAL, Logs, other?
>

> at this time - a couple days after restart, the clog hasn't re-formed yet. Thus, I am unable to tell you what files they were, we didn't pay that much attention to it then - there were some WAL files but I can't tell what the actual structure was. I'll provide this information whenever possible.

The clog has somewhat re-formed - the full listing of lsof (filtered for unique files) for postmaster(s) on the database mount is here:
http://BillionUploads.com/ya9kjv78t9es/postmaster_files_sorted.csv.html

Consecutive commands were issued in a matter of minutes and differ slightly.

Some totals / aggregates:
df – /data 83 141 382 144
du – /data 29 170 365 801
lsof – /data 75 348 037 632
lsof – /data/base 74 975 969 280
lsof – /data/base (deleted) 53 769 936 896
lsof – /data/pg_xlog 369 098 752
lsof – /data/pg_xlog (deleted) 201 326 592
lsof – /data/global 2 965 504

It is clear that the server processes are keeping most of the files from being actually deleted.