Re: upgrading from pg 9.3 to 10

From: Martín Marqués <martin(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Edmundo Robles <edmundo(at)sw-argos(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: upgrading from pg 9.3 to 10
Date: 2018-08-14 19:15:12
Lists: pgsql-general

El 14/08/18 a las 14:44, Edmundo Robles escribió:
> Is safe  to upgrade from pg 9.3 to pg 10 directly using pg_upgrade or
> is better upgrade, with pg_upgrade,  from  9.3 -> 9.4 ->9.5 -> 9.6 -> 10.

That is quiet a jump. But not imposible with pg_upgrade.

I'd recommend testing with a clone of the server to verify that it works
properly (not only pg_upgrade, but your application with the new version
of postgres). Also to time the window you'll need and see if there are
things to be aware of, like extensions which are upgraded and might
break the upgrade.

Now if you are going to first jump to 9.4, I'd recommend using pglogical
after getting to 9.4 and upgrade straight from 9.4 to 10 (always after
testing your application against 10)

Regards,

--
Martín Marqués http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/