Re: [UNVERIFIED SENDER] Re: Challenges preventing us moving to 64 bit transaction id (XID)?

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: "Finnerty, Jim" <jfinnert(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [UNVERIFIED SENDER] Re: Challenges preventing us moving to 64 bit transaction id (XID)?
Date: 2021-03-26 13:54:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Jim,

On 3/26/21 12:01 AM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 2:57 AM David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:
>> On 1/22/21 6:46 PM, Finnerty, Jim wrote:
>>> First 3 patches derived from the original 64-bit xid patch set by Alexander Korotkov
>>
>> The patches no longer apply
>> (http://cfbot.cputube.org/patch_32_2960.log), so marked Waiting on Author.
>>
>> I also removed the PG14 target since this is a fresh patch set after a
>> long hiatus with no new review.
>
> I just wanted to say that I'm definitely interested in progress in
> this area, and I'm sure many others are too. Let's talk again about
> incremental steps in the PG15 cycle. The reason for lack of responses
> on this thread is most likely due to being at the business end of the
> PG14 cycle.

Indeed. I certainly didn't mean to imply that this work is not valuable,
just that it is too late to consider it for PG14.

I'm going to move this to the 2021-07 CF and leave it in the Waiting for
Author state. It would probably be best to wait until just before the CF
to rebase since anything you do now will likely be broken by the flurry
of commits that will happen in the next two weeks before feature freeze.

Regards,
--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net