Re: MERGE SQL statement for PG12

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: MERGE SQL statement for PG12
Date: 2019-01-14 15:45:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/11/19 12:26 AM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 1:15 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I feel like there has been some other thread where this was discussed,
>> but I can't find it right now. I think that the "query construction"
>> logic in transformMergeStmt is fundamentally the wrong way to do this.
>> I think several others have said the same. And I don't think this
>> should be considered for commit until that is rewritten.
>
> I agree with that.
>
> I think that it's worth acknowledging that Pavan is in a difficult
> position with this patch. As things stand, Pavan really needs input
> from a couple of people to put the query construction stuff on the
> right path, and that input has not been forthcoming. I'm not
> suggesting that anybody has failed to meet an obligation to Pavan to
> put time in here, or that anybody has suggested that this is down to a
> failure on Pavan's part. I'm merely pointing out that Pavan is in an
> unenviable position with this patch, through no fault of his own, and
> despite a worthy effort.

I 100% agree with this. I guess this is the phase where you have a patch
that generally does the thing you want it to do, but others are saying
the approach is not the right one. But you're under the spell of your
approach and can't really see why would it be wrong ...

> I hope that he sticks it out, because that seems to be what it takes
> to see something like this through. I don't know how to do better at
> that.

In my experience shepherding a patch like this is quite exhausting, and
while I've always advocated for pushing the MERGE patch forward, I'd not
blame Pavan one iota for just abandoning it.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com