Best formal training for PostgreSQL use?

From: SuperDutyTA73(at)aol(dot)com
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Best formal training for PostgreSQL use?
Date: 2001-07-12 19:47:16
Lists: pgsql-novice

It appears that this message failed to post, so I am trying again.
I actually tried this twice with Deja, once more with a mailer program
that I have used for the first time which also doesn't seem to work,
and now this time. If you see this message more than once, please
accept my apologies.

I need to create several web sites in which visitors can access and
input information to a database. The site will consist of free input
by the general public, but using a user name/password scenario, and
free/paid input by an industry group, depending on content. The
database will hold the information, and will have to also track which
content is chargeable, and deny/allow access based on whether industry
users have paid for the particular input.

I have been using Access 2000 just to get an idea for
layout/relationships, etc. Other than that, I have no experience with
database use/design, or SQL. I will be using PostgreSQL, and have
purchased several books on SQL, PHP 4.0, and Unix/Linux. I have also
sucked up every possible site that I can find that offers free online
info/training on open source databases, and SQL. I have installed
Mandrake 8.0, with PostgreSQL, and have RH 7.1 waiting in the wings. I
would like to get some formal training on databases. There are many
technical schools in my area. What would you recommend? Take a
technical course such as Oracle 8i, which I would be willing to take
all the way to the 5 certification test point, or just a SQL course,
which is much shorter, and much cheaper? There really aren't any
other options, except MS SQL 2000. Or am I making a mistake taking
something like Oracle, if using PostgreSQL? Should I look for a cheap
copy of Oracle/Keystone Training on an auction site instead of the
classroom training? And will Oracle be the correct choice? The only
other CD/Video training offered is usually SQL or MS SQL 7/2000 by
these companies. What's the best choice of the above scenarios to
get a good foundation in database design/administration for using PostgreSQL?
Not interested in getting a job in this field, already am self-employed.

Thanks for any assistance!

If an email address is required for response, please use superdutyta73(at)aol(dot)com