Re: Best formal training for PostgreSQL use?

From: Jason Earl <jdearl(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: SuperDutyTA73(at)aol(dot)com, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best formal training for PostgreSQL use?
Date: 2001-07-13 03:23:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

My advice, for what it is worth...

Get Momjian's "PostgreSQL : Introduction and Concepts"
and supplement it with a good general purpose SQL book
Celko's "SQL for Smarties" gets high marks. And start
experimenting with PostgreSQL. Of course, I much
prefer to learn from books than classes.

Then simply pay attention to some of the PostgreSQL
mailing lists. You would be surprised what you can
learn just by lurking on these lists. And asking
questions about schemas and queries is actually
encouraged. So feel free to ask specific questions.
The benefit, in my opinion, to technical courses over
textbooks is that technical courses provide you with a
teacher who (hopefully) can answer specific questions
and clue you in to real life examples and tricks of
the trade. PostgreSQL's mailing lists have filled
that need for me fairly well.

As for your specific problem, storing documents in
PostgreSQL is now pretty straightforward now that the
8K row limitation is gone, searching those documents
(especially if they are binary formats like Word
documents) is another story, but not impossible (I
haven't used the text indexing stuff so I don't know
how well it works).

Access control to those documents should also be
fairly straightforward. Especially if a single
entrance fee gets the user access to all content. In
any even your problem will almost certainly fall into
one of several design categories. Keeping track of
which users should be granted access to which
documents boils down to a fairly simple many to many
relationship.

Jason