Re: Acclerating INSERT/UPDATE using UPS

From: "Hideyuki Kawashima" <kawasima(at)cs(dot)tsukuba(dot)ac(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Acclerating INSERT/UPDATE using UPS
Date: 2007-02-11 15:42:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew,

Your experience is really informative. Thanks for giving me such a
really precious information. Since I am a researcher, I rarely faces
on real troubles.

Andrew, I agree with you. UPS is not reliable all the time.
On the other hand, however, disks or raids are also not reliable all the time.
Moreover, on the earth, there is NO device which completely assures
durability of the ACID transaction property. Even if disks and power
supplies are perfect, the system would be destroyed by an earthquake
(thus, disaster recovery techniques are recently popular). Thus I
think the problem is not in a device. It is in the management of
system administrators. (However, this is just my opinion and it is not
objective one required by large questionnaire).

On the other hand, speed is required. My first motivation of this work
is a friend of mine who is working at a financial firm. He strongly
required performance of UPDATE/INSERT on the database servers in his
company (the database was a major commercial product). I think in such
a rich environment, strong power management facilities may be expected
though this is just my one thought).

In summary, I think the problem lies in system management rather than
device itself.

Regards,

-- Hideyuki