Re: Postgres is slow

From: Prajakt Deolasee <bugzilla(dot)prajakt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres is slow
Date: 2005-03-08 17:51:08
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Thanks guys.. I will try of the suggested steps. But one thing that I
do not understand that why should the performance deteriorate with
exactly same data with subsequent tests. And its juts gets worse as I
keep running it.

> also, the defaults in $PGDATA/postgresql.conf in 7.4 are *VERY* inefficient.
> there are a few key parameters that can make a significant difference in
> overall performance.
John, do you have any idea which parameters to change?

I tried similar tests also against PSQL 8.0 as well. But the results
are exactly same.

My final usage is going to be exteremly high. I would need something
like 1000 inserts/updates per sec. Do you think PSQL will scale?

Can the indexing on the byte array be one of the issue?

-Prajakt