Re: Stored procedures and out parameters

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Stored procedures and out parameters
Date: 2018-09-17 15:53:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/17/18 11:47 AM, Vladimir Sitnikov wrote:

> Merlin>The workaround is to simply not do that and you can get
> Merlin>precise control of behavior
>
> You are absolutely right.
> On top of that, the whole concept of DB-drivers and libpq is useless.
> Users should just simply exchange wire messages for precise control of
> behavior.

..

Merlin>> Hooray for making the right choice.

Just to chime in real quick: from the perspective of the RMT we did not
look at these as a series of "right/wrong" options but what would make
the most sense for the v11 release so the community could continue to
improve support for stored procedures and make it easier for users to
work with them going forward.

I would suggest we move forward and figure out what needs to be
implemented so people who use JDBC, ODBC, and other drivers are able to
fully take advantage of stored procedures the way they are used to.

Thanks,

Jonathan