Re: postgresql and Mac OS X

From: "Isak Hansen" <isak(dot)hansen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Allison" <tom(at)tacocat(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql and Mac OS X
Date: 2008-10-29 10:20:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:41 PM, Tom Allison <tom(at)tacocat(dot)net> wrote:
> I was using macports but got into a cluster-F on versions and multiple
> installs. After a spell I had all four versions 8.0 - 8.3 installed in
> order to use postgres, ruby, perl, and rails together.

I use apple's ruby, but have postgres, perl and a lot of other
packages/libraries installed from macports, and am quite happy with
it.
I had the same multiple-version-issues I think you're experiencing at
first, believing that all deactivated ports were still required as
dependencies, but eventually got tired of the mess and did a forced
uninstall of anything inactive. My apps still worked.

Installing a single app from source isn't that much of an issue, but I
have 100+ different ports installed on my dev box. Four(*) commands in
a terminal window keeps them all current.

Isak

*)
sudo port sync # update package info
sudo port selfupdate # update macports
sudo port upgrade installed # upgrade installed ports
sudo port uninstall -f inactive # clean up after upgrade