postgresql and Mac OS X

From: Tom Allison <tom(at)tacocat(dot)net>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postgresql and Mac OS X
Date: 2008-10-28 22:41:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Relatively simple question that I hope doesn't start too much "Flame".

I have recently had the opportunity to reformat my macbook hard drive,
many thanks to suggestions from the actual Apple support team. That's
not why I'm writing to the postgres group... But it's related.

I have a fresh slate from which to build my development platform!!

I can get postgresql installed in three flavors:
EnterpriseDB has a dmg package for Mac.
macports has their own package.
fink also has their own package.

I was using macports but got into a cluster-F on versions and multiple
installs. After a spell I had all four versions 8.0 - 8.3 installed in
order to use postgres, ruby, perl, and rails together.

I'm interesting in knowing if this can be avoided by selecting one of
the alternative sources of installation. Any experiences with
differences in installation and long term management from these sources?

I'm more accustomed to using Linux for PostgreSQL, but in this situation
Linux probably won't be my development arena but test/prod. In the
Linux environment I've had great success in getting migrations,
upgrades, and languages to play well with PostgreSQL without the multi
version issue.

Many thanks in advance for all your input!

Tom