New at this. Commissioning for the first time:

From: sa92003(at)yahoo(dot)com (Rob)
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New at this. Commissioning for the first time:
Date: 2004-01-12 06:11:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new at this, and am trying to set up PostgreSQL for the very
first time. It looks like my installation of RH9 a few weeks ago has
installed the database proper, and now all I need to do is create a
few files and commission the application so that I can see "template1"
and proceed from there.

I had set up the directory...
/usr/local/pgsql/data

and then typed...
postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

and the shell reply is...
FATAL: data directory /usr/local/pgsql/data has group or world
access;
permissions should be u=rwx (0700)

Being new at Un*x as well, I only know a fair amount about how to
change permissions. Emacs says the directory currently has these
permissions on the directory:
drwxr-xr-x

What instructions should I issue in order to meet the requirement?
chmod [what?]

Thank you for any information that you can provide.