Optimizing

From: "Montrone, Marc -- 7183" <marc(dot)montrone(at)novastar1(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Optimizing
Date: 2003-02-28 15:26:08
Lists: pgsql-sql

Please advise how I can improve performance of query searching for telephone
numbers. I have a table with over a million records of phone numbers in a
single indexed field. To find one phone number takes nearly 20 seconds.
Aside from hardware upgrades, how can I improve the performance of this
query? Thank you in advance.