Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "William ZHANG" <uniware(at)zedware(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2005-09-02 14:02:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > And I think VC++ 6.0 is ok, it is power enough and not so big for
> pgsql's
> > development. And latter versions of VC++ can automatically convert
> 6.0's
> > project files. There are also a "VC++7 to VC++6 project converter"
on
> > www.codeproject.com.
>
> | You might be surprised to know that this has been already done.
Back in
> | the 7.2 cycle there was a win32 build floating around that compiled
and
> | built inside of visual studio 6. I think Jan Wieck was one of the
> | people involved in the effort.
>
> | That would be a good place to start looking.
>
> | Merlin
>
> I know sth. about Jan Wieck's work, but cannot find the VC++
projects.
> Now I have started a PgFoundry project "vcproject".
>
> Regards,
> William ZHANG

The peerdirect port is still available on Bruce's ftp site here:
ftp://momjian.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/win32/PeerDirect/

as a patch vs. the 7.2 postgresql.

fwiw, I think your project is in a race against time vs. the upcoming
improved win32 posix support. Details are skimpy but the rumors are ms
is going to allow running just about any unix app without emulation.

Currently the major advantage I see of providing alternative to mingw is
providing 64 bit version of postgresql to windows since mingw does not
appear to be going 64 bit anytime soon.

The win32 build environment issue was discussed quite heatedly when the
porting effort started heating up. At the time I advocated for a vc6
build environment but have since then realized that probably would have
been a mistake.

Merlin