Re: ODBC driver for Windows & future...

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: <russc(at)inline(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC driver for Windows & future...
Date: 2004-11-30 15:14:49
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> > I think rather the ODBC driver should wrap the libpq library. The
.net
> > driver has some justification for implementing its own protocol
stack
> > because of marshalling issues; the ODBC has little to gain besides
> > paying a extra maintenance price which is now being paid in full
:-).
> > There may be some valid reasons why this was done that I'm not aware
of,
> > though.
>
> We might be able to help out here. We have written more ODBC drivers
> than any one else (50+). www.opayc.com
>
> What is the status of the project?
> What needs doing?

Well, the current ODBC driver has changed very little in the last 2-3
years. The primary maintainer left quite some time ago. The ODBC
driver meets about 90% of most user's requirements. My personal opinion
is that it's fine for client side development but is sketchy for server
work.

Well, if you've written a lot of ODBC drivers, I'd imagine you had some
type of framework which could be re-implemented fairly easy. If this is
true, and you are willing to open source your stuff under an appropriate
license, or contribute newly crated stuff, I'd say to go for it!

I'd say for starters the current code needs to be looked over and a fair
estimation of what would be required to replace the protocol
implementation with libpq would be an excellent start. Beyond that, it
really depends on how you would like to approach things with your
contributions.

Merlin