Re: basic questions with odbc and visual basic.

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Greg Campbell" <greg(dot)campbell(at)us(dot)michelin(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: basic questions with odbc and visual basic.
Date: 2004-09-27 19:03:03
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> I have done a fair amount with VB and PostgreSQL ODBC and I am
perplexed
> by what you have described as your problem. You make it sound as it VB
> is "making up" the SQL statements to send.
[...]
> Did you leave out some information, like you are using a bound data
> control perhaps?

Yes, problem is with data-aware controls. The query ado generates to
write the data back to the server from the recordset checks every single
field in the table to find the column which fails.

For example (skipping connection, etc.),
rs.Fields("soeme_field") = "set"
rs.Update

will 1: generate a query which will fail to update the proper record
(confirmed by logging the query and trying in psql) and 2: generate an
exception in vb which reads:

multiple step old db operation generated errors...

Merlin