Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Win32 release warning

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Rob Butler" <crodster2k(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "Dennis Bjorklund" <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Win32 port list" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Win32 release warning
Date: 2004-08-26 17:11:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

> > "Altho tested throughout our release cycle, the Windows port does
not
> have
> > the benefit of the years of testing that has gone into the Unix
> platforms,
> > and, as such, should be treated with the same level of caution as
you
> > would a new product"
>
> Wow, that is good! Current wording is:
>
> Because Win32 is significantly different from the Unix
platforms
> supported in previous releases, there is much new
Win32-specific
> code that has not been tested extensively. Please test it
> thoroughly before using it in production.
>
> Should I change it to Marc's version?

This is much better. However I would still remove the phrase 'has not
been tested extensively'. I've been testing almost continuously since
the port became available around March, and so have a lot of others. I
quit around July because it seemed to be a waste of time (most
everything works fine).

Is it really a good idea to imply that any code is released without
extensive testing? Either 8.0 is release quality or it isn't. If it
isn't, delay the release until it is. If there are (valid) concerns
about the win32 specific codebase, let's put together some formal tests
and knock those out of the way.

Merlin