Re: PostgreSQL Upgrade recommendations

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Andrew Parkyns" <andrew(dot)parkyns(at)microgen(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Upgrade recommendations
Date: 2004-08-09 14:04:52
Lists: pgsql-ports

We have a PostgreSQL 7.2.1 server on Linux RHL 9 Enterprise / Intel
port.
7.4.x? Wait for 7.5? I don't want to do this too often so I would like
to space major upgrade intervals by at least 12 months if possible.

7.5 has a lot of new stuff in it. If that new stuff applies to you then
go for it, otherwise might be smart to wait for 8.1 (7.5 == 8.0). If
you don't care about win32, the next biggest thing is probably
savepoints. If you are the conservative type, I would not target an 8.0
deployment earlier than Jan 1. 2005.

* Any really pressing reasons to move off 7.2.x ? Nasty bugs not patches
until later versions?

Yes, 7.4 got a lot of improvements to the query optimizer, a major
protocol overhaul, and takes better care of your data in crash
scenarios, not to mention all the 7.3 stuff.

* 3rd party software Incompatibility issues?

Possibly, in a few minor cases the sql commands are not backwards
compatible. However, the protocols are. If you have a lot of
integration, there might be some problems.

* Reasons of performance / functionality?

Yes, postgres just keeps getting better and better. Each major version
brings a huge amount of functionality and power.

Merlin