Re: win32 pgsql not installable

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Richard Sydney-Smith" <richard(at)ibisaustralia(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: win32 pgsql not installable
Date: 2004-07-28 19:15:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> Once postgres is available on windows machines I think it will used in
> multitude of applications - some of which are directed towards single
> user situations. With the utmost respect I feel postgres needs to run
> without issues of the kind presently being presented.

On this point I agree with you 100%. PostgreSQL has some features which
make it ideal for packaging with an application. I used to work for a
company that wrote GIS software which had heavy data requirements. At
the time, tho, there was no viable win32 option, now there is.

IMO, app + database installations should not install the full server.
The application should open a pipe to postgres.exe. (the app could be
installed with a pre-bootstrapped database). The problem of course is
that means losing the libpq library. Thus, the long term solution is to
have libpq/odbc/jdbc interface wrapper access to a standalone backend.
These don't exist right now, but perhaps they might one day. In the
mean time, we all have to work around this :(

Merlin