Re: win32 pgsql not installable

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Christian Klemke" <Christian(dot)Klemke(at)t-online(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: win32 pgsql not installable
Date: 2004-07-28 12:58:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> Guys ! Please take into account that users will not be able to be run
the
> Postgres service on Win XP Home. XP Home does not offer the local
security
> policy editor and therefore it is not possible to have the logon-as-
> service
> right for any user except administrators (I'm not shure if it would be
> possible to assign the approriate rights programmatically - maybe this
> option should be included in the installer then ?). By default, you
can
> only
> create two type of users, namely users with administrative rights and
> so-called "limited" users. Limited users also cannot, for instance,
create
> file underneath the program files folder etc., making it impossible to
> install Postgres there (it works in different locations, however).
> I certainly do not want to start a discussion about using XP Home vs.
> using

Officially, XP Home is not supported (XP home has a 5 connection cap,
btw). IMO, the only reason XP home is interesting is for cases where
pg might be packaged with an application. Right now, to run it on XP
home you have create a limited user, log on as that user, create the
data folder, and run initdb. It's nasty.

I've played with it a bit...try manually entering the log in to the
service manger...on XP pro the system grants the logon right here if the
user doesn't have it. Otherwise, might as well give up on the service
idea. Just have run pg_ctl start via batch when system starts up...this
is almost as good for simple purposes.

I think the ultimate solution to this problem is to beef up the
standalone backend functionality so that apps can just pipe to
postgres.exe and not bother with the listening server (and security
implications thereof). In this case, the packaged app problem would be
solved and there would be no reason to run pg as a service for XP home
(there really isn't now).

Merlin