Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-29 19:45:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Well, if Win32 doesn't complete by June 1, do we still do the feature
> freeze? I don't want to be adding features after the freeze, that is
[...]
> As I remember, we decided that we should not make decisions to extend
> the feature freeze date just before the freeze date because it causes
> people to stop doing development, then we extend. I think we should
go
> another week or two then decide if we should stay to June 1, and if we
> don't, we should schedule for July 1. Extending it by a week at a
time,
> and almost before the deadline, has caused considerable waste of time
in
> the past.

I agree 100%. Right now the win32 side doesn't qualify for beta...just
the date issue alone is a pretty big deal, IMO. There are pending
patches for only about 50% of the outstanding issues. A tremendous
amount of work has been done, but there is still quite a bit to be done
to meet basic QC guidelines.

So I suggest (my choices are of course subjective):
Dividing
win32 'should fix' (installer, /contrib, etc.)
win32 'must fix' (psql query cancel, <1970 dates, non-cygwin regression)

Apply freeze date to the 'must fix' items. 'Should fix' items can be
delayed until the beta, dot release, or beyond. My personal estimation
on completion date depends on what gets put in which category. If
everything is designated 'must fix', I think July 1 is practical.

Merlin