postgres.exe mem usage in task manager

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postgres.exe mem usage in task manager
Date: 2004-04-16 15:55:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

I noticed a curious thing: the task manager does not seem to account for
shared memory (memory mapped files) in the memory usage, making it
appear that that the backends are allocating more memory than they
really are.

I confirmed that the total allocation for all the backends was
reasonable by checking the system commit but if you add up allocations
for each backend it appears much higher.

checkpointing on win32 seems to run very fast...much faster than I'm
used to, but this may be do to improvements in the bgwriter. It cleans
the clock of the Interix port (MS's own unix runtime) by at least 15% on
insert heavy situations. Overall, I am just blown away on how well the
whole thing works compared to just a few weeks ago.

Merlin