Re: psql compiled with msys

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql compiled with msys
Date: 2004-04-16 13:29:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Hmm. This sounds exactly like the problem Dann (IIRC) had a couple of
> days back.>
> Anybody know of a way to make mingw produce MS compatible DLLs?

Strictly speaking, all DLLs are MS compatible...barring the usual
annoying sundry issues like underscores, calling convention, etc. I ran
the msys compiled DLL through Borland's impdef utility (generates an
export list) and got more or less the same results.

I then used implib to generate a library file for the dll for static
linking. This also worked, but I got a warning (probably unrelated, but
still interesting):

C:\msys\1.0\local\pgsql\lib>"c:\Program
Files\Borland\CBuilder5\Bin\implib" libpq.lib libpq.dll

Borland Implib Version 3.0.22 Copyright (c) 1991, 2000 Inprise
Corporation
Warning duplicate symbol: pqFlush

So, I think Dann's problem more likely a versioning problem...i.e.
trying to use 7.4.1 libpq from 7.5b psql. Of course, this is just
asking for a crash. Unless the calling convention is different (and it
doesn't appear to be) I think the dlls are in fact compatible. Worst
case scenario: the compiler flags on the msvc side have to be adjusted.
There might be more to it though.

Merlin