Re: Build failure

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Michael Korolyov" <mkorolyov(at)iplocks(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Build failure
Date: 2004-04-02 20:21:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> p.s. is anything better then postgres_beta4.zip v.7.2.1 I can use and
> where I can get it?

The 7.2.1 version is the easiest to get up and running. Next easiest is
the cygwin version which is recent. Just look for cygwin. If you are a
newbie, either of these gets my vote. 7.2.1 is starting to look a
little old, but it's pretty functional.

Right now I am using the Interix port, which is pretty stable. This is
a moderate compiling challenge however. If you need a production
windows server *right now*, this gets my vote, but you have to know what
your doing.

The mingw/msys version will soon be the only choice. At the moment you
have to compile it (from the daily changing cvs sources) and from what I
understand an out of the box compile only has about 50% chance of
working depending on your compiling skills. Also, there are certain
missing niceties like a service manager which will appear at some point
and this version still has a few annoying bugs.

My understanding is that the win32 port will go beta in 2-3 months.
Probably around this time a binary install package will appear. Then
comes the fun part :)

Merlin