Re: Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered data unusable

From: Konstantin Gredeskoul <kig(at)dropinmedia(dot)com>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered data unusable
Date: 2009-06-16 06:09:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

Thanks all for your help. I installed from the RPM, found the sources
(although it wasn't obvious), rebuilt the identical version that i had
before and I am up and running.

Still, I consider automatic yum updates for Postgres fundamentally
broken, if they invalidate your database directory. A 2 minute
update may cost an hour of downtime for someone who is not expecting
this, like I wasn't.

I have been installing postgres manually in /usr/local/postgres-
<version>/ on all other machines, but on this machine I got lazy. Well
now I know :)

Thanks all for good advice.

On Jun 15, 2009, at 9:56 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 22:10 -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>
>> Got a backup of the original 8.4devel_20090310-1PGDG.rhel5.i386
>> package? I'd think reinstalling that would fix your problen.
>
> Unfortunately I removed binary -devel packages from the repository.
> However, SRPM do exist:
>
> http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/srpms/8.4/redhat/rhel-5-i386/postgresql-8.4devel_20090310-1PGDG.rhel5.src.rpm
>
> You can build them in your platform, and as Scott said, install them,
> backup old data and then update to RC1.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
> Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com
> devrim~gunduz.org, devrim~PostgreSQL.org, devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr
> http://www.gunduz.org

___
Konstantin Gredeskoul
CTO and Co-Founder
Drop In Media LLC | www.dropinmedia.com
Mobile Application Development and Hosting
Office Number: +1 (650) 355 4700
Email: kig(at)dropinmedia(dot)com