Re: Parallel query execution

From: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)cleverelephant(dot)ca>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel query execution
Date: 2013-01-24 22:34:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I mentioned last year that I wanted to start working on parallelism:
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Parallel_Query_Execution
>
> I believe it is time to start adding parallel execution to the backend.
> We already have some parallelism in the backend:
> effective_io_concurrency and helper processes. I think it is time we
> start to consider additional options
>

> Parallelism isn't going to help all queries, in fact it might be just a
> small subset, but it will be the larger queries. The pg_upgrade
> parallelism only helps clusters with multiple databases or tablespaces,
> but the improvements are significant.

I just got out of a meeting that included Oracle Spatial folks, who
were boasting of big performance increases in enabling parallel query
on their spatial queries. Basically the workloads on things like big
spatial joins are entirely CPU bound, so they are seeing that adding
15 processors makes things 15x faster. Spatial folks would love love
love to see parallel query execution.

--
Paul Ramsey
http://cleverelephant.ca