Re: Replace references to malloc() in libpq documentation with generic language

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Replace references to malloc() in libpq documentation with generic language
Date: 2023-10-24 08:32:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 24 Oct 2023, at 07:13, Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im> wrote:

> The user does not benefit from knowing that libpq allocates some/all memory
> using malloc(). Mentioning malloc() here has a few downsides, and almost no
> benefits.

I'm not entirely convinced that replacing "malloc" with "allocated on the heap"
improves the documentation. I do agree with this proposed change though:

- all the space that will be freed by <xref linkend="libpq-PQclear"/>.
+ all the memory that will be freed by <xref linkend="libpq-PQclear"/>.

--
Daniel Gustafsson