Re: active queries

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
To: Miklosi Attila <amiklosi(at)freemail(dot)hu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: active queries
Date: 2008-05-27 17:21:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On May 27, 2008, at 3:08 PM, Miklosi Attila wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Our company has a long last problem by using libpq in multi-threaded
> programs. The libpq usually closes the programs without any error
> message or rarely giving the 'Invalid frontend message type 87' error.
> When asked you about this error message you gave the reply below.
> In the
> reply there is only one thing which is not clear... What does an
> 'active' query mean? Or how can we detect active queries on a PGconn?

THE 'active' query (not AN) is the query that's currently being
executed on a connection. There can be multiple connections with an
active query each. You can't execute multiple queries in parallel on
the same connection. You can execute them in sequence of course.

What people are trying to tell you is that you apparently have
multiple threads that perform queries simultaneously on the same
connection, and that's not possible.

You either need to put locks on the threads to prevent queries from
happening simultaneously, or you should use a separate connection for
each thread that executes queries in parallel.

To summarise, you need to serialise your queries on the connection or
you need to parallelise your connections. Or a mix of both.