Re: DB become enormous with continuos insert and update

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
To: Hfe80 <federico(dot)mo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DB become enormous with continuos insert and update
Date: 2010-10-26 22:45:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On 27 Oct 2010, at 24:22, Hfe80 wrote:

> We tried everything...vacumm works.
> The problem is that updates need more space becouse datas is not overwritten
> in the same space...
> it seems that when there is huge update db grow to create space necessary
> ...700 Mb every time and than vacuum works but only since next update! and
> db grow 700Mb more and 700 Mb more....
>
> It seems a bug
>
> Sorry for my english that isn't so good :(

Do you have any long-running transactions?
Rows can't be reclaimed while there are transactions active in which those rows are visible. So if you have long-running transactions, those could be "locking" the deleted rows' space and prevent vacuum from re-using that space for new rows. That's one reason that could explain your database growth.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4cc75a3310291878029243!