Re: Performance problem on 8.2.4, but not 8.2.3

From: Kristo Kaiv <kristo(dot)kaiv(at)skype(dot)net>
To: Dave Pirotte <dpirotte(at)mediamatters(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Steinar H(dot) Gunderson" <sgunderson(at)bigfoot(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance problem on 8.2.4, but not 8.2.3
Date: 2007-05-26 12:41:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

these bogus rowcount estimates are a bit strange. if you have 800K
rows and select 100K of them the rowcount estimate should most likely
come from the histogram for the column. can you check what the
histograms are for
referrer path tables refferrer_domain where id <= referrer_domain
'mediamatters.org' both in 8.2.3 and 8.2.4
I still think this happens because of skewed statistics. More memory
should encourage the planner to choose hash join over nested loop afaik.

Kristo