Re: designing tables - sidetrack into arrays

From: Cath Lawrence <Cath(dot)Lawrence(at)anu(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: designing tables - sidetrack into arrays
Date: 2003-07-30 07:14:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

OK, a followup to my question now before anyone replies...

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 04:01 PM, Cath Lawrence wrote:
> Perhaps I should make a special archive table and refer to it by some
> key. Say, id, [array of archive content file names], bytea for the
> archive.

Actually this now strikes me as a bad idea, since I think I can't
search my table by filename to find what archive it's in, and retrieve
that archive. With a plaintext list I could do
"select archive from bin_archives where file_name_list like
('%my_wanted_file%')"

Or am I being clueless about arrays, too?

thanks,
Cath
Cath Lawrence, Cath(dot)Lawrence(at)anu(dot)edu(dot)au
Senior Scientific Programmer, Centre for Bioinformation Science,
John Curtin School of Medical Research (room 4088)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200
ph: (02) 61257959 mobile: 0421-902694 fax: (02) 61252595