Re: Acucobol, ODBC and Postgres

From: Korry Douglas <korry(dot)douglas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Jonathan Foy <thefoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Acucobol, ODBC and Postgres
Date: 2010-04-07 20:06:57
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> I'm trying to configure the postgres odbc driver with our Acucobol
> application (5.2 and 8.1), and was hoping that someone out there
> might have some experience with this.
>
> The application currently connects to our postgres databases (8.1.3
> up to 8.4.2) without issue. The problem came up when I started
> trying to use pgbouncer. I had it up and running from the command
> line, but connections coming from the application are rejected due
> to a "bad packet header", which seems to be because the connect
> packets are coming in with V2 in the data, and pgbouncer only
> supports V3. So, we downloaded the latest driver, compiled it (RHEL
> 5.4), and (in theory) recompiled cobol with the new library
> (libodbcpsql.so.2.0.0) linked in. There was no apparent change.
>
> The application can still parse the odbc.ini file to get the
> database name, server, port, user, and password, but any additional
> settings seem to be ignored. I can't get any logging, I can't set
> the Protocol version...I'm not convinced that the proper driver is
> being used.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? Pulling my hair out...

I would start by running strace on your application while it is trying
to connect. When I've run into kind of problem that you describe,
I've found that the ODBC Driver Manager is reading the wrong odbc.ini
file (for example, reading from /etc/odbc.ini when I expected /usr/
local/etc/odbc.ini).

Just run:

$ strace -o /tmp/myapp.trc <your application name goes here>

Then look through the /tmp/myapp.trc file, searching for attempts to
open odbc.ini, odbcinst.ini, and the libodbcpsql.so library.

-- Korry

Korry Douglas
Senior Database Dude
EnterpriseDB Corporation