Re: Suggestion: new frontpage layout

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Suggestion: new frontpage layout
Date: 2006-12-04 14:05:43
Lists: pgsql-www

> > I think it is unreasonable to expect people to keep seperate blogs.
> > Except for my family, my life *is* pretty much PostgreSQL.
> Thus many
> > things that don't seem relevant to some, may seem relevant
> to others.
> >
> > I, as a geek + business person, will blog very directly
> about topics
> > that do not to you seem relevant because I am not talking about
> > TRUNCATE or FOREIGN KEYS. However, to a person trying to derive a
> > profit from PostgreSQL, they may be relevant.
> >
> > Also it is relevant that my daughter got the flu, because
> it is likely
> > that I now may get the flu and thus will effect the things
> that I do
> > for the community for a short time. It is also relevant because
> > Darcy's daughter also got the flu, and thus he can
> empathize with the
> > current situation (this example is just and example btw).
>
> A simple answer would be to simply filter what we display on
> the front page of the site. istm there is no reason why we
> cannot a) restrict the articles shown to only those from
> specific authors, and b) restrict the articles from those
> authors to ones in specifc categories.

Filter for (a) implemented and tested.
Filter for (b) we can't do, since planet doesn't export it. THat
restriction has to be done at the planet level.

> That way, if Joshua wants to post a useful howto, he can do
> so, and categorise it under 'PostgreSQL' to have it show up
> on the front page of the site. If he wants to blog about his
> pet cats latest antics then he can categorise under 'Family'
> which won't show up on the front page.

Yes, but that requires him to use categories on his blog, which he says
is too much work :-) But we can now filter his entire blog (or that of
others), which might be an incentive.

> There is some valuable stuff on planetpostgresql, it would be
> good to include it if we can.

Ok. The large majority of the people who have said something are clearly
for this one. I haev implemented this filter to help mitigate the main
issue brought forward by the people opposed.

Given this, unless someone screams loudly with what's actual new
information, I will commit this change later tonight.

//Magnus