Re: Bittorrent (Was: RE: [HACKERS] [SUGGESTION] CVSync )

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bittorrent (Was: RE: [HACKERS] [SUGGESTION] CVSync )
Date: 2006-03-27 07:15:23
Lists: pgsql-www

> > [moved to -www]
> >
> >> Does anyone here know how to use the latest version of Bittorrent,
> >> from a server vs client, perspective? The one we are currently
> >> running is *ancient*, and I'd like to get that vServer
> upgraded and
> >> off the templates, but without someone that knows how to setup the
> >> newer bittorrent, well, that's just a scary proposition ;(
> >
> > Ancient is a bit strong - it's about a year old. By that
> definition,
> > there's a whole lot of things that are a lot worse off on
> our servers.
> >
> > That said, it's not good. But the fact that something
> changed on the
> > box that caused it to stop working in the past couple of
> days can't be
> > because of the version, since we've been running that version for a
> > year.
>
> 'k, I looked at the server based on your report, and
> everything looks fine ... so, can you let me know how to
> reproduce the problem you are seeing?

It's automatically reproduced every 10 minutes. There are two
possibilities:
1) The python processes has started crashing. I don't think so, because
the count keeps going up.
2) They are no longer reported in a way that Proc::ProcessTable can
read. See the code at
http://gborg.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/portal/tools/bt/updatetor
rents.pl?rev=1.8;cvsroot=pgweb for what we're trying to do. It is
*possible* this is done because the processes are swapped out, though I
*think* I tested the code and it handled that.

> > As for migrating it to a differnt vserver - just make sure
> you have a
> > "close enough" version of python, and it should be no
> problem to just
> > tar up the whole directory and move it over. I wouldn't be
> > particularly worried about that part.
>
> tar up what directory? its the bittorrent binaries that I'm
> concerned about ... at some point, they merged all the
> various "utilities" into one 'bittorrent' script ... there is
> no longer a 'btlaunchmany.py' script, for instance ...

Tar up /usr/local/www/bt.postgresql.org.
There are no "bittorrent binaries", they are all python scripts. And
they live under taht directory along with all our utility scripts.

> And not sure what you are talking about concerning 'a year',
> but bittorrent was originally installed back in Nov of '03,
> according to the file stamps:
>
> # ls -lt bt*
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 5833 Nov 24 2003 btmakemetafile.pyc
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 6385 Nov 15 2003 btdownloadheadless.pyc

Where are you looking? That's before I started doing the web stuff, and
I'm definitly the one who put in what's tyhere now.

svr4# pwd
/usr/local/www/bt.postgresql.org/auto/bt
svr4# ls -l
total 154
drwxr-xr-x 4 bt robot 1024 Mar 24 2005 BitTorrent-4.0.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 bt wheel 154427 Mar 25 2005 BitTorrent-4.0.1.tar.gz
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 16 Apr 11 2005 bt -> BitTorrent-4.0.1

(Meaning I may be responsible for the weird groupid usded there :-P)

//Magnus