Re: Suggestion: new frontpage layout

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Suggestion: new frontpage layout
Date: 2006-11-30 18:27:36
Lists: pgsql-www

> > Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > Based on suggestions from Simon (mainly) and a few
> others, I've put
> > > up a suggestion for a new layout on the frontpage that shows some
> > > more stuff than before. It's up on
> http://magnus-master.pgadmin.org/.
> > >
> > > Note: The planetpostgresql header currently reads "support us"
> > > pending new image-files from Tom ;-)
> >
> > I'm not happy about posting planetpostgresql on the front
> page. That
> > gives random individuals unchecked (until after the fact) access to
> > post on the front page. Seeing that Devrim has in fact in the past
> > resisted making planetpostgresql.org into planet.postgresql.org to
> > keep the efforts unrelated, that seems contradictory. What is the
> > rationale for making this change?
>
> I think that having planetpostgresql on the front page is not
> a good idea. Maybe, put it under community instead?

It's already there.

> As an example, I use the planetpostgresql blog for a personal blog,
> not a professional one. Which means, I very well will put
> things up there that really shouldn't be up on the front page
> of postgresql.org.
>
> My article on Oil profits being a perfect example.

For that, you should be using categories, and make sure that
www.planetpostgresql.org only carries the PostgreSQL articles. I know
others have done just that (can't remember an example right now, but I
think xzilla does), and it works just fine.

Remember, www.planetpostgresql.org != people.planetpostgresql.org.

//Magnus