Re: Give more space on Home page for Upcoming Events

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Jim Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot)Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Give more space on Home page for Upcoming Events
Date: 2006-11-28 07:02:49
Lists: pgsql-www

> >> plus a small
> (simply use
> more" rather
> >
> > The above makes sense, I just don't see the point of the
> more events
> > on the page. As much as making it more obvious where to
> click to see a
> > whole page of events.
> >
> > I would actually like to see "less" as a whole on the front page.
>
> I'm somewhat loath do suggest this, but I think it would be a
> good way to deal with this...
>
> What about some kind of flash/javascript magic that will
> rotate through multiple events on the front page? Not rotate
> per page view, but rotate like every 5 seconds.

If we go flash, I will retire from the webteam effective immediately.
But feel free to whip up a proposal :-P

And I really don't see the need for javascript either, but I can agree
with a need to show a few more events. Specifically, I still like that
idea about splitting apart training events and other events. AFAIK the
holdup for that one is that someone has to get us a copy of the font
needed to make headers...

There's, IMHO, absolutely no need to fit the entire frontpage above the
fold as it is now. We only need to fit the most important parts for
new/casual visitors, which is latest version and latest news.

What's the argument for showing less on the frontpage?

//Magnus