Re: Problems running PostGreSQL silent install

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Greg Quinn" <greg(at)officium(dot)co(dot)za>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems running PostGreSQL silent install
Date: 2006-10-27 20:21:33
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

> initdb: directory "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/data"
> exists but is not empty If you want to create a new database
> system, either remove or empty the directory "C:/Program
> Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/data" or run initdb with an argument
> other than "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/data".
>

> The problem is, that I am trying to install a second instance
> of PostGreSQL on another port in another location my test computer.
> Is this possible?

No, the MSI instlaler only lets you install once instance on each
machine. (Unless you are talking different versions, that is). You can,
however, install one instance with the MSI installer, and then manually
run initdb and pg_ctl register to set up a second service with a
different data directory.

//Magnus