Re: [HACKERS] Developer's Wiki

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Developer's Wiki
Date: 2006-09-17 14:47:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

> >> 1. It isn't easy to login
> >
> > Really? You're kidding, right? You click a link that
> requires login,
> > and you get a browser login box. How much easier can it be?
>
> What URL are you talking about?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs

Yes.

> Where do I click login? Where do I click create account?
> Where do I click to login?

You click to do whatever you want to do - say edit a page or create a
new page. When you do, you will be asked to log in. There is no point in
asking you to log in when you don't need it (such as for reading pages)

> You are corrent, now that I have tried it.
>
> If I click edit, and then cancel because I don't have a login
> I get a page that tells me:
>
> * Login required
>
> * Accessing this resource requires a community login. If you
> don't have
> * one, you can read about it here. To try again, just press your
> * browsers Refresh button.
>
> Which pretty much goes against how every other site in the
> world does it. I shouldn't have to throw an exception to
> perform the correct behavior.

No, that's correct. But in *normal* access, you just get the login
prompt and you go for it. The usability issue is definitly with the
signup though - do you think it'd be enough to just add a blurb about it
on the first page of techdocs?

> That page that tells me where to login should come *BEFORE* I
> get a login prompt.

Here, we clearly disagree, I think. If you mean a system like pgFoundry,
where you find where you want to go and edit something (say a tracker),
then you have to specifically go log in (because you never remember to
do that when you get there in the first place - or you may have received
the link in email), at which point you are promptly sent off to a
completely different page than the one you wanted to edit...

> Let me rephrase. It is not complex, it is not standard. Which
> makes it confusing.
>
> What I expect is this:
>
> Open web browser
> Go to techdocs
>
> Either the first thing I see is,
>
> * You are not logged in, if you wish to edit content click
> here to login or create an account.
>
> * When I click edit the above happens.
Depends on whose standard you look at, I guess. This is how most
"proper" sites work, IMHO. There are a whole lot of sucky sites out
there, though :-P

Therere is anothe rproblem with that one - it does not scale. It
requires every pgae to be dynamic and look if you are logged in.

> Why?
>
> Because the text after a login failure or cancel when using
> httpd auth is almost ALWAYS telling me I need a correct
> login. Not giving a link to login.

Yes, this is definitly a problem.

again, you think it'd be enough to stick it o nthe frontpage of
techdocs, or do we need a small blurb on every page next to the edit
links?

//Magnus