Re: [HACKERS] Developer's Wiki

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Developer's Wiki
Date: 2006-09-17 13:13:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

> Techdocs is a different problem all together. Josh has
> already mentioned some problems with it. I can mention more.

[warning: thread hi-jack]

> 1. It isn't easy to login

Really? You're kidding, right? You click a link that requires login, and
you get a browser login box. How much easier can it be?

> 2. It is even harder to create a login

Again, really? If yo uget the login prompt and hit cancel (or just login
with an invalid password), that says "you need a community login. If you
don't hav eone, click here to read about it." If you "click here", you
get to the page where you sign up.

Now, explaining this process on the frontpage of the techdocs part of
the site might not be a bad idea at all (in fact, it's a good idea :-P),
but do you honestly think the process is complex? If so, what should we
do to make it easier?

> 3. There is no creation of login for most people because they
> don't know they have to go to the community portion of the
> www site to get to it.

See above, you don't need to do this.

> I am sure their are other problems on the inside, I haven't
> actually ever logged in ;)

You should, we'd like to know about them so we can fix them.

//Magnus