Re: Timezone List

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: "Naz Gassiep" <naz(at)mira(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joachim Wieland" <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Timezone List
Date: 2006-09-06 21:10:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> > In the CVS version there is a table with this information:
> >
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/view-pg-timezonenames.
> > html
>
> Actually, what that view gives you is timezone offset
> abbreviations, not the full zone names that you could use
> with SET TIME ZONE. It strikes me that we should have a view
> for that as well. We could use code similar to
> scan_available_timezones() to generate the view output.

You know, I think I suggested that back in the days when I worked on the
replacement timezone code, and you didn't want it back then ;-) If you
think it's good now then yes, I still think it is. I may even have the
code for it around somewhere if I go look a bit...

Assuming we can sneak this in even though it's feature-freeze, want me
to look for it?

> It's somewhat urgent to address this now, because
> pg_timezonenames is sitting on the obvious name for such a
> view, and once we release 8.2 we won't be able to change it.
> On reflection I think the existing view is wrongly named ---
> perhaps it should be pg_timezoneabbrevs? Or more readably,
> perhaps pg_timezone_abbrevs, with pg_timezone_names for the
> other view.

Seems reasonable - my vote is for the more readable version.

//Magnus