Re: Patch: Query favourites

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: Query favourites
Date: 2006-01-29 20:55:52
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

> >>Actually, I'd like it better to have a means of adding
> macros/scripts
> >>or so to pgAdmin, i.e. wxPython. This would enable pgAdmin
> extensions,
> >>keeping the pgAdmin core relatively pure.
> >>

> >Sure, that'd be nice. Still, that adds a dependency on
> *python*, which
> >is *huge* compared to wxxml...
> >

> I don't mind adding dependencies if benefits are huge (last
> addition was OGL for graphical explain, which is a std wx
> contrib module). The few preferred queries I'm using are in
> some files, and I simply mark and execute them. That's why I
> can't see any benefit from such a "favourite"
> feature.

On this we clearly disagree (on the value of the feature, that is). But
that's your choice, of course. I'll keep running with it myself until
such a time as an alternative exists.
Let's, as they say, agree to disagree on it.

> >And I don't see the point in this case.
> >
> The point is, the scripting option I'm thinking of would
> allow you to declare your own menu entry for your preferred
> query (which might consist of a dialogue, formatting your
> result) so it's not the query you're storing, but but the
> feature/task/whatever. Just as we have a status display, not
> just a favourite "select * from pg_status".

Oh, ok. Then I see what you mean. I still don't see it as a clear
replacement, but it would certainly a good feature.

//Magnus