Re: Change in policy on News?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Change in policy on News?
Date: 2006-01-09 18:23:52
Lists: pgsql-www

> Folks,
>
> When we last discussed "policy" for front-page news items,
> this was the general terms:
>
> 1) Commercial Software gets 1 news item, ever, preferably
> when they introduce PostgreSQL support.

I wasn't aware of that one. Last I heard, we were talking one per month,
top. Or possibly one per 2 months (nobody seem to remember which..)

The question then is - one per company, or one per product?

> 2) OSS Projects supporting PG get an announcement every major
> version, but NOT for minor releases.

Wasn't aware of that one either :-) I wonder if this whole policy
discussion was from before I started doing the -slaves stuff. Either
that or I have a bad memory.

> 3) "Inside" projects (like PGAdmin & PostGIS) get an news
> item whenever they have something new.

That, however, I knew :-)

> Lately, someone has been approving every single announcement
> from AM software, giving them a front-page news item every
> 2-3 weeks, frequently
> for patch releases. What gives?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.444
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.433
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.453

See pt 1 above. Also, remember that there are different ppl approving
different items. (I'm sure I have probably approved at least one of
those, but I also know I've thrown away at least one, so it's not like
*every* one gets approved)

//mha