Re: PgFoundry Move

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <gforge-admins(at)pgfoundry(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PgFoundry Move
Date: 2006-01-17 08:41:49
Lists: pgsql-www

> As for the server that I'm working on right now ... yes, that
> will be in place *long* before 2 months is up ... I'm just
> waiting for a second CPU right now ... as for "quality
> server", we'll see how well HP holds up, but, so far, this
> box has very much impressed me ... anyone on these lists have
> experience with the HP Proliant DL* servers? The box I have
> here has built in virtual power and remote KVM ... no more
> having to get ahold of a tech to power cycle the server, I
> ssh into a dedicated interface for remote admin, type 'power
> reset' and the server power cycles itself ...
> I've configured this box with it sitting in the other room
> without a monitor/keyboard attached to it, and no
> 'extra/special hardware' ...

Sure, been using them for years. Never had a single problem (well,
failed harddrive of course - statistically, that *will* happen on any
brand given enough disks... The hw raid has dealt with it with zero
problems though).

Luke (I think it is) keeps saying the performance of the RAID cards are
bad in linux, though. I haven't had that experience myself (I've had
great performance), but I probably don't push them as hard as he does.
Just make sure you have the battery-backed-cache option (which really
should be standard, but isn't unless you've bought one of the high-end
extra RAID controllers).

They provide both commercial and OSS drivers for all hardware when ti
comes to Linux. Everything has worked perfectly for me except the RILOE
driver which doesn't work on 2.6 unless you run RedHat or SuSE (because
they have patched the kernel so horribly much it's no longer near what
the standard kernel is). On 2.6 it works fine. The only thing you really
lose without this driver is the ability to relay SNMP requests thruogh
the iLO interfaces into the machine without going across the public
network (good for machiens in DMZs or outside FWs, as SNMP is less than
ideal from a security standpoint)

Never tried with FreeBSD. Do they include their full management tools
for that ("Insight Management Agents" I think they call it)? (Such as
pre-failure detection for HD, RAM, CPU etc that their techs will
actually accept as enough for a replacement without questioning etc)

//Magnus